FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Contact: Amanda Edwards
I & E Insurance Agency
(Point Pleasant, NJ - Jan 30, 2020)
Baby Its Cold Outside, Be Ready!
Exceptionally low temperatures are in the forecast for New Jersey this winter. Have you taken the proper precautions to protect your home from frozen pipes?
Frozen and bursting pipes are the number one loss for coastal homes. Most if not all frozen pipe claims can be avoided with just a few preventative measures.
Experts recommend the following:
1. Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature during the day and night. If you plan to be away, leave your heat on and set to a temperature NO lower than 60° F.
2. Run water at a slow drip from your faucets to avoid frozen pipes.
3. Insulate pipes in attics, crawl spaces and pipes close to outside walls.
4. Remove, drain and store outdoor hoses.
5. If you own a secondary home, we suggest you take a drive and check on your property. Check to make sure your heat is on and running properly.
What to do if you suspect a pipe has burst?
1. Shut off the main water line immediately to prevent any additional damage. Preserve the property so no further damage occurs
2. Contact a licensed plumber to evaluate and repair the pipe.
3. If the burst pipe caused damage, please contact your Insurance Agency and the claims department as soon as possible so we may assess the damage.
4. Take Pictures of everything and keep all receipts and paperwork of any work.
Any if you have further questions or concerns, contact your agent or call us we'll be happy to help.